The main purpose in winterizing an in-ground swimming pool is to protect it from damage due to freezing water. Water must be drained from the equipment/pipes to prevent damage.
- The filter should have a plug at the bottom that will allow it to drain.
- Be sure to open the air relief valve on top if there is one.
- Put the multi-port valve in the closed and remove the pressure gauge.
- Remove the plugs from the pump. Do not put the plugs back in. If the equipment should get water in it, the plugs will prevent proper drainage.
- After draining the pump, turn it on for a brief second to get the water out of the impeller. Do not run the pump more than a second or two because this can burn out the seal very quickly. The water will drain out of the pipes and equipment.